- A robust idea pipeline – Occasional ideas through enthusiastic workers will not suffice. Launching of idea themes and idea activators are necessary for buzz creation and right focus.
- Idea submission system – Get one which facilitates submission at different levels and also collaboration by other. Allow for idea hitch-hiking.
- Build and improve participation – Create role models (Innovation lighthouses), communities of practice, innovation catalysts and an effective scheme for recognition.
- Beware the pitfalls of rewards – Average reward per adopted idea is $2.83 in Japan and $602 in US. Average number of ideas per employee in Japan is 37.4 and 0.12 for US. Get the idea!
- Idea evaluation and feedback — Get peers to evaluate an idea for its intrinsic worth, and the management to do so for implementation worth. In all cases, communicate decisions.
- Separate ongoing projects from innovation ones – There are fundamental incompatibilities between the performance engine and the innovation engine.
- Team composition and control – Projects of incremental innovation call for specific, quantitative,realistic goals with objective performance evaluation systems. Projects of radical innovation are quite the opposite.
- Experiment with low cost and high speed – Have a mechanism for quick and dirty experimentation to bust assumptions and ground with reality. Prototype and validate.
- Move fast from prototyping to incubation – After a point, the idea must move from the lab to the market. Here it hits new hurdles that must be avoided and managed.
- Create a window for outsourced and open innovation – All brains will never work under your roof. Use co-creation techniques and idea-brokering platforms.
7. Move from an innovation program to an innovation culture – Programs start initiatives, culture sustains it. Or, kills it. Culture change is necessary to derive full benefit from the expenditure on innovation programs.
8. Training – World class training is available on systematic innovation tools. To reduce the workshop-workplace divide, dedicated measures in form of online dripfeed systems and web based tools are also available. Use them.